Newfoundland and Labrador
Natural Sciences Links
and Other Useful Resources
- To compile an extensive reference resource for students of the natural
history of Canada's easternmost province.
Always under construction! Please check back periodically.
All links checked April 28, 2015.
Page last updated April 28, 2015.
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Invertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Vertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Plants, Lichens, Fungi, Protists, Bacteria and Viruses
- Biology and Ecology: Miscellaneous Topics
Sites with Natural Sciences Content
- Earth Science
- Environmental Issues, Conservation, and Park Reserves
- Lists of Links
Periodicals, Books and Media Online
- Newsgroups, Listservs, FTP Sites, and Blogs
- Organizations, Associations and Agencies
Tools, Directories, and Other Useful Resources
<<<<<<<< YOU ARE HERE!
- Species at Risk
- Young People
this Page - "Search Tools, Directories, and Other Useful
- Mamma Search An excellent,
fast, general purpose metasearch engine. Limited number of hits.
- ZOO Was Metacrawler? Useful for images and videos. However, web results page always brackets primary results between many advertising results, both top and bottom; annoying.
- Yippy Search WAS Clusty, and before that Vivísimo! Cool site. Try it! RECOMMENDED.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library Searches numerous older journals and returns whole documents. Interface is slow and frustrating, but worth the trouble.
- Botanicus Searches numerous older BOTANICAL journals and returns whole documents. Interface is slow and frustrating, but worth the trouble.
- E-Print Network Metasearch. Returns full text papers.
- Google Scholar Advanced Search Finds only scientific articles and books. Offers additional functionality, such as direct web
searches of results. Excellent. Capable of retrieving full text of articles, although many of these articles are
accessible only with "institutional access" priviledges.
- IngentaConnect Advanced Search An awesome database of current
periodical article citations, and related resources. You may search it for free! In addition, you may order
FAX or electronic copies of any articles listed,
but the price [subscription or pay-per-view] is VERY steep; check your library first!
- Internet Archive, [The] Archives of everything.
Includes "The Wayback Machine"
- Library Genesis: Scientific Articles Search for (often hard-to-get) scientific articles downloadable by DOI. Very useful.
- Microsoft Academic Search
- North Atlantic Register for Marine Species (NARMS): Taxon Search
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) Open Access scientific papers.
- PubMed Central A free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal
literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine.
- ScienceResearch.com [Search not working the last time the link was checked]
- Sora Bird Journals
- UK Web Archive
- VADLO Biomedical and Life Sciences Search Engine. Searches POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS !
- Wayback Machine, [The] If an old webpage has disappeared, or changed radically ... No problem! The Waybackmachine Archive
contains over 100 terabytes and 10 billion web pages archived from 1996 to the present. Plug in the URL in question, and pick a date from the returned menu. Amazing! (But, not as complete as it used to be.)
- Google Groups - Advanced Groups Search. Replaces Deja.com,
which Google bought on February 12, 2001. Still searches
newsgroups, but returns results in the style of Google web searches. Covers the full Deja.com archive.
- Newzbot This search engine
will allow you to locate USENET newsgroups by keyword search, locate servers which
support any particular USENET newsgroup, and launch desired newsgroups from any of
the located servers! Particularly excellent if your regular server does not support
newsgroups, or does not support the particular newsgroup(s) you are interested in. Can be a bit cranky!
- Find it @ NASA Search
all of the many NASA web pages from one place! Great tool. Works best with Internet Explorer.
- eNature Guides Searchable field guides to over
4800 species on Plants and Animals. Returns good descriptions and photos.
- CalPhotos Search
form for accessing images assembled by the Digital Library Project, University of California,
Berkeley. Despite a California bias, the database contains photos of many species
also found in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- NOAA Photo Library Some interesting Newfoundland and Labrador material.
Search Engines and Other Search Tools - Lists, Evaluations, and Use
Internal Search Forms in Major Websites
and Labrador Directories
Scientists and Other Experts
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and
- NetLingo An online dictionary
defining the hundreds of words, and symbols (like "smileys", ie. " :-) "), that are
emerging as the new vocabulary of the Internet and the World Wide Web. Go there!
- Webopedia If you don't understand a
word or a term associated with the Web, look it up here!
This website is the creation of John E. Maunder, Pouch
E-mail: jem @ nl.rogers.com