The Newfoundland Rare Plant Project
The rare Rattlesnakeroot [Prenanthes racemosa var. racemosa], Wild Cove, Bay of Islands
Home Background Goals Project Team Areas Surveyed Collections Documention Noteworthy Results Products and Benefits Links
- North America's Best Kept Secret: Conserving Newfoundland's Rare Limestone Barrens Flora By Luise Hermanutz.
- Rare Plants "Research ... Dr. Luise Hermanutz with the Rare Braya". From the MUN Gazette.
Organizations, Groups and Conservation Initiatives
- An Act Respecting the Protection of Endangered Species [Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2001: Chapter E-10.1]
- Botanical Ecological Reserve Regulations under the Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act [Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 64/97]
- Endangered Species List: Regulations under the Endangered Species Act [Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 57/02]
Parks and Reserves
- Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Centre
- COSEWIC (Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada)
- Wild Species 2000: The General Status of Species in Canada
Rare, Threatened and Endangered Species
- Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve Order, 2000, under the Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act The Order in Council setting up Burnt Cape as a permanent ecological reserve.
- Ed Andrews and Keith Nicol Two Sir Wilfred Grenfell College professors have developed a training and resource manual for guides at the Burnt Island Ecological Reserve
- Interpreting Burnt Island Reserve
- Nature Conservancy of Canada presents Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve as Gift to Canadians Newfoundland Government press release
- Premier and minister announce a new permanent ecological reserve at Burnt Cape Newfoundland Government press release.
- Astragale de Robbins variété de Fernald Excellent page on Fernald's Milk-vetch [Astragalus robbinsii var. fernaldii] [FRENCH]
- Barrens Willow: Salix jejuna
- Fernald's Braya Environment Canada site.
- Fernald's Milk-vetch Environment Canada site.
- Long's Braya A wild mustard known from only three small populations in the Strait of Belle Isle.
- Long's Braya Environment Canada site.
- National Recovery Plan for Long’s Braya and Fernald’s Braya Official report. [pdf file]. See also: the HTML version - but this may require Internet Explorer for all text formatting to work.
- Official release of the National Recovery Plan for Long’s Braya and Fernald’s Braya Newfoundland Government press release.
- Stewardship agreements to be signed for conservation of limestone barrens habitat and species at risk Newfoundland Government press release.