Newfoundland and Labrador
Natural Sciences Links
- To compile an extensive reference resource for students of the natural
history of Canada's easternmost province.
Always under construction! Please check back periodically.
All links last checked September 13, 2005.
Page last updated March 5, 2010.
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Invertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Vertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Plants, Lichens, Fungi, Protists, Bacteria and Viruses
- Biology and Ecology: Miscellaneous Topics
Sites with Natural Sciences Content
- Earth Science
- Environmental Issues, Conservation, and Park Reserves
- Lists of Links
Periodicals, Books and Media Online
- Newsgroups, Listservs, FTP Sites, and Blogs
- Organizations, Associations and Agencies
YOU ARE HERE!
Tools, Directories, and Other Useful Resources
- Species at Risk
- Young People
this Page - "Organizations, Associations and Agencies":
Societies and Groups
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society, [The] - Newfoundland and Labrador Chapter
- Conservation Corps - Newfoundland and Labrador, [The]
- Friends of Grand [ie. the Churchill] River [Labrador]
- Humber Natural History Society, [The]
- Limestone Barrens Habitat Stewardship Program
- Manuels River
Natural Heritage Society, [The]
- Natural History Society of Newfoundland
and Labrador [The] A group with diverse natural history interests,
and a deep concern for the natural environment.
- Protected Areas Association
of Newfoundland and Labrador [The] A non-profit association of
individuals who advocate wilderness/eco-region and bio-diversity protection."
Vidi Rennies River Development Foundation Environmental stewards of the Quidi
Vidi - Rennies River system in St. John's, Newfoundland.
Astronomical Society of Canada [The]: St. John's Centre The St. John's,
Newfoundland Chapter. An excellent Newfoundland and Labrador astronomy
- S.A.E.N.: Salmonid Association of Eastern Newfoundland "A
volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation and wise management of
... [Newfoundland's] trout and salmon resource."
- SPAWN - Salmon Preservation
Association for the Waters of Newfoundland A group dedicated to the
sport of Salmonid angling, and conservation. Web site includes considerable
information on Salmonid biology and conservation.
- Species Status Advisory Committee Advises the Newfoundland and Labrador Government regarding the conservation status of endangered, threatened, and vulnerable species, in support of the Endangered Species Act.
- Whale Release and Stranding Group - Newfoundland and Labrador
Environmental Law Groups
- Fluvarium, [The] Located on Nagle's Hill
Brook in St. John's, the facility features large, underwater, fish observation
windows, and serves to educate the public about freshwater ecology.
- Johnson Geo Centre, [The] Earth Sciences Museum. Super place.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
Botanical Garden Located near the University in St. John's, Newfoundland.
An excellent website. Even has bird song files!
Association of Newfoundland and Labrador An umbrella organization representing
and supporting community museums in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Newfoundland Insectarium, [The] A
great place to visit! Located in Deer Lake, at the Humber River Bridge.
- The Rooms Provincial Museum [formerly the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador]
- Virtual Museum of Labrador - Nature, [The]
- Canadian Heritage Information Network - C.H.I.N.
"The electronic gateway to Canada's rich cultural and natural heritage, CHIN offers services
of interest to national and international on-line visitors, to museums, libraries,
schools, colleges, universities, communities and the tourist industry." [May require a recent browser version]
- Canadian Museum
of Civilization One of the true pioneers in museum websites. An extensive
and eclectic resource.
- Canadian Museum of Nature A great
- Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History A great
- Royal Ontario Museum: Worlds to Explore A
great Canadian museum! [May be slow-loading]
- Royal Tyrrell Museum
Dinosaur museum extraordinaire! And it's Canadian - in Drumheller, Alberta.
Awesome website! [But, tediously graphical! At the very least, click "Skip intro"]
- Virtual Museum of Canada
A wonderful contribution of the Canadian Heritage Information Network - C.H.I.N. [May require a recent browser version]
Parks, Reserves and Natural Areas
This website is the creation of John E. Maunder, Pouch