Newfoundland and Labrador
Natural Sciences Links
Biology and Ecology:
- To compile an extensive reference resource for students of the natural
history of Canada's easternmost province.
Always under construction! Please check back periodically.
All links last checked October 19, 2005.
Page last updated October 29, 2005.
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Invertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Vertebrates
YOU ARE HERE!
- Biology and Ecology: Plants, Lichens, Fungi, Protists, Bacteria and Viruses
- Biology and Ecology: Miscellaneous Topics
- Commercial Sites with Natural Sciences Content
- Earth Science
- Environmental Issues, Conservation, and Park Reserves
- Lists of Links
- News, Periodicals, Books and Media Online
- Newsgroups, Listservs, FTP Sites, and Blogs
- Organizations, Associations and Agencies
- Search Tools, Directories, and Other Useful Resources
- Species at Risk
- Young People
this Page - "Biology and Ecology: Animals: Vertebrates":
- Access Excellence A little
hard to describe. Billed as "a place in cyberspace for biology teaching
and learning." Despite the awful blurb, it is really worth a look!
A lot of great animal-related stuff buried here. Don't be put off by the rather
barren-looking homepage; just click on something (ie. "Science Updates")
and see what comes up!.
- Animal Diversity Web From the
University of Michigan. Navigate, in easy steps, all the way from a basic list of
the main animal groups, to useful accounts of individual species. Or, if you
know where you are going, you can search directly.
- Animal Information Database An excellent,
diverse resource from SeaWorld. Includes all manner of animals.
of Wildlife, The An excellent site from the Canadian Wildlife Service.
- Biggest, Smallest,
Fastest, Deepest: Marine Animal Records Great Trivia!
- Hinterland Who's Who
An excellent site from the Canadian Wildlife Service. You can also view the
T.V. spots from
the 1960's [Will require Windows Media Player and a fast connection]!
- Provincial Symbols
- Newfoundland and Labrador
Calls From the University of Michigan. AIFF and AU sound files..
and Toads in Color and Sound Included from Newfoundland and Labrador, are: Green Frog,
Peeper and American
- Introduction to the Natural
History of the Frogs and Toads of Ohio, [An] Great site! Includes Spring Peeper, Western Chorus Frog,
Wood Frog, Northern Leopard Frog, American Toad, Green Frog, and others. AU sound files.
Voices of Spring, [The] "On mild nights in spring and early summer [in Nova Scotia],
the air is filled with the calls of courting frogs." Includes Spring Peeper,
Wood Frog, Northern Leopard Frog, American Toad, Mink Frog, Green Frog, and a
couple of other species. AU sound files.
- DUCKDATA A
searchable bibliographic database of North American waterfowl
and their wetland habitats.
- Canadian Bird Trends Database "... information
on Canadian bird species including: population trends, range distribution, and national
conservation designations. Population trends are derived from
Canadian Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) data and are updated on an annual basis."
- North American Breeding
Bird Survey: Results and Analysis [The] Analysis and mapping.
An excellent resource. HOWEVER. Newfoundland is missing from all of the
maps! Aaargh! Contrary to what is stated on the maps, Newfoundland in NOT
outside the limit of breeding bird surveys.
- Birds 2000: Living on the Edge A joint
meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union in conjunction with the Society of Canadian
Ornithologists and the British Ornithologists’ Union.
Birding News Monthly update by Todd Boland. Archive.
- nf.birds Newfoundland birds newsgroup. NOTE: Your
ability to access newsgroups directly, will depend entirely on your service provider. If
you have problems, try searching for "nf.birds" with Google Groups newsgroup search.
- world LYNX A
large international site devoted to the lynx.
- Allied Whale The
marine mammal laboratory at College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, Maine. Allied Whale
curates both the North Atlantic Humpback and Finback Catalogues which contain the
largest collection of photographs and data on
North Atlantic humpbacks and finbacks in the world.
- The Fortune Bay "Sea Monster"
DNA testing identified the “sea monster” as the remnant of a sperm whale.
- Humpbacks, Witless Bay, Newfoundland Huge, amazing photos! Click on photos to make them even BIGGER!
- [Humpback Whale
Photos] Witless Bay, Newfoundland. Excellent. CLICK TO ENLARGE. Fast-loading images from
the otherwise SLOW-LOADING
Mullowney's Puffin &
Whale Tours site.
- Jaap's Marine
Mammal Pages Hugeand varied. Links.
- Watery World of Whales, [The] LOTS of
great stuff! A definite conservation slant. First page is plug-in impaired, and
very slow-loading. You may wish to select the
text only first page.
- Whale on Slipway,
Snook's Arm, Notre Dame Bay [Newfoundland], August 1899 An historical photograph.
- Whale Center of New England
- Whale Net From Wheelock College.
A very large and complicated educational site. A bit daunting at first, but with
perseverance and patience you'll find all kinds of great stuff here.
- Whale Release and Stranding: Newfoundland and Labrador A lot of good stuff here.
A Newfoundland site - includes short AVI and QuickTime movies! However,
the mpg/mpeg movie links no longer work.
This website is the creation of John E. Maunder, Pouch