Newfoundland and Labrador
Natural Sciences Links
and Other Useful Resources
- To compile an extensive reference resource for students of the natural
history of Canada's easternmost province.
Always under construction! Please check back periodically.
All links checked January 28, 2020.
Page last updated February 1, 2020.
- Astronomy and Space Science
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Invertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Animals: Vertebrates
- Biology and Ecology: Plants, Lichens, Fungi, Protists, Bacteria and Viruses
- Biology and Ecology: Miscellaneous Topics
Sites with Natural Sciences Content
- Earth Science
- Environmental Issues, Conservation, and Park Reserves
- Lists of Links
Periodicals, Books and Media Online
- Newsgroups, Listservs, FTP Sites, and Blogs
- Organizations, Associations and Agencies
Tools, Directories, and Other Useful Resources
<<<<<<<< YOU ARE HERE!
- Species at Risk
- Young People
this Page - "Search Tools, Directories, and Other Useful
- Yippy Search WAS Clusty, and before that Vivisimo! Not as good as it once was..
- DuckDuckGo Uses Google data, BUT does not track or gather data.
Also, it does not rank by perceived preferences, so it returns hits in a different (i.e. raw) order than Google does ...
To DuckDuckGo "a truck is a truck is a truck".
- Gibiru Bills itself as an "Unfiltered Private Search".
- Start Page Billed as: "The world's most private search engine".
- Biodiversity Heritage Library Searches numerous older journals and returns whole documents. Interface is slow and frustrating, but worth the trouble.
- Botanicus Searches numerous older BOTANICAL journals and returns whole documents. Interface is slow and frustrating, but worth the trouble.
- Core "The world’s largest collection of open access research papers"
- Google Scholar Advanced Search Finds only scientific articles and books. Offers additional functionality, such as direct web
searches of results. Excellent. Capable of retrieving full text of articles, although many of these articles are
accessible only with "institutional access" priviledges.
- IngentaConnect Advanced Search An awesome database of current
periodical article citations, and related resources. You may search it for free! In addition, you may order
FAX or electronic copies of any articles listed,
but the price [subscription or pay-per-view] is VERY steep; check your library first!
- Internet Archive, [The] Archives of everything.
Includes "The Wayback Machine"
- Library Genesis: Scientific Articles, Books Search for (often hard-to-get) material. Very useful.
- Microsoft Academic Search
- North Atlantic Register for Marine Species (NARMS): Taxon Search
- Pascal and Francis Bibliographic Databases Search More of a "finding aid", but does lead to downloadable documents if they are "open source". Very useful.
- Public Library of Science (PLoS) Open Access scientific papers.
- PubMed Central A free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal
literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine.
- Sora Bird Journals
- UK Web Archive
- VADLO Biomedical and Life Sciences Search Engine. Searches POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS !
- Wayback Machine, [The] If an old webpage has disappeared, or changed radically ... No problem! The Waybackmachine Archive
contains over 100 terabytes and 10 billion web pages archived from 1996 to the present. Plug in the URL in question, and pick a date from the returned menu. Amazing! (But, not as complete as it used to be.)
- Google Groups - Advanced Groups Search. Replaces Deja.com,
which Google bought on February 12, 2001. Still searches
newsgroups, but returns results in the style of Google web searches. Covers the full Deja.com archive.
- CalPhotos Search
form for accessing images assembled by the Digital Library Project, University of California,
Berkeley. Despite a California bias, the database contains photos of many species
also found in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- NOAA Photo Library Some interesting Newfoundland and Labrador material.
Search Engines and Other Search Tools - Lists, Evaluations, and Use
Internal Search Forms in Major Websites
and Labrador Directories
Scientists and Other Experts
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and
- NetLingo An online dictionary
defining the hundreds of words, and symbols (like "smileys", ie. " :-) "), that are
emerging as the new vocabulary of the Internet and the World Wide Web. Go there!
- Webopedia If you don't understand a
word or a term associated with the Web, look it up here!
- URL Clean URLs copied from Google search results (such as links to PDFs)
are more complicated than they need to be. This tool removes the unnecessary parts, leaving the page's original URL. Sometimes works on non-Google messy URLs
This website is the creation of John E. Maunder, Pouch
E-mail: jem @ nl.rogers.com